One evening, my mom and I had defrosted some salmon to eat for dinner. I didn’t really feel like searing it or baking it, so I randomly sautéed some veggies, cut up the salmon, threw it in with the veggies, added some coconut milk and seasoning…and then something beautiful happened. It was so, so delicious. We practically licked our bowls clean. Okay not practically. I actually licked my bowl clean. No shame.
The following week, I mentioned it to my coworkers and said I wanted to re-make it for the blog.
A week or two later, that coworker literally yells from across the kitchen, “POOJA. WHEN ARE YOU PUTTING YOUR SALMON CURRY UP ON THE BLOG. WHY ISN’T IT UP YET? I WANT TO MAKE IT.” So…I got my life together and made it again and measured everything for the blog. Don’t worry, I took some for her to enjoy too.
Ps. Somehow the version I made for the blog turned out better than the original?! You’re welcome.
Anyway, MAKE THIS. It’s so easy and so damn good. It’s one of those meals that you eat in silence because you’re enjoying it so much. And it all happens in ONE POT. Hooray for dirtying as few dishes as possible!!
One-Pot Salmon Curry
-2 cups broccoli florets
-2 cups chopped mushrooms
-1 small onion, diced
-2 tbsp avocado oil, divided
-1 tbsp minced ginger
-1 tbsp minced lemongrass (here’s a video on how to prepare lemongrass)
-4 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 lb salmon
-1 tsp turmeric + 1/2 tsp turmeric
-2 bay leaves
-1 can coconut milk
-1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp avocado oil on medium heat, then add onions and stir until fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until they begin to soften, 2-3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp turmeric, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and bay leaves, then stir to combine.
- Add broccoli and stir to combine.
- Add 1/4 cup water to the pan and and put a lid on to steam for 5 minutes.
- While the vegetables are steaming, carefully cut the skin off of the salmon and cut it into small cubes.
- When 5 minutes are up, carefully lift off the lid and avoid any steam that escapes.
- Create a well in the center of the vegetables and add 1 tbsp avocado oil, then add the salmon.
- Sprinkle salmon with 1/2 tsp sea salt and 1/2 tsp turmeric.
- Sauté the salmon until cooked, then toss salmon in with the vegetables and mix it all together.
- Add 1 can of coconut milk + 1/2 can water.
- Turn heat to low and bring to a simmer.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1/2 cup roughly chopped cilantro.
- Taste, and add salt if necessary (I added about 1/2 tsp).
- Eat on cauliflower rice or with whatever vessel you choose, but spoon this stuff into your mouth at lightning speed because it is DELICIOUS.
-Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have on hand if you don’t want to use broccoli and mushrooms. I’ve made this with asparagus, green beans, spinach…it’s incredibly versatile and tasty either way!
-Same goes with the meat. Don’t like fish? Use chicken! Or tofu! Or whatever you want!
-This will keep for about 5 days in the fridge.