Instant Pot Savory Butternut Squash Soup
1 cup chopped onions (about 1/2 medium onion)
1 cup chopped carrots
1 TB avocado oil or ghee (not AIP or vegan)
5 cups cubed butternut squash (1 medium butternut squash, cubed)
1/2 tsp salt (+ more to taste)
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 TB fresh herbs
2 bay leaves
4 cups broth (bone, chicken, vegetable)
- Press the sauté function on the Instant Pot. After a minute or so, add oil or ghee, then add onions and carrots. Sauté for 10-12 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add herbs (I used half rosemary, half thyme) and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth, salt, and bay leaves. Stir to combine, and with a wooden spoon scrape the browned bits off the bottom.
- Press cancel, then close the lid, set to pressure cook on high for 25 minutes (manually increase the time to 25 minutes).
- Be sure to keep the vent sealed.
- After 25 minutes, carefully manually release pressure.
- You can put a kitchen towel over the vent before releasing pressure to catch the steam.
- You can set it under your vent hood.
- You can take it outside to release the steam (which is what I do)
- BUT when you release the steam, do it from the side so you don’t get burned by the hot steam! Safety first.
- Either use an immersion blender to blend the soup, or carefully transfer it in batches into a high speed blender and blend up until smooth.
- Serve, and enjoy!
-Keeps well in the fridge for up to a week.