Sometimes, when it’s freezing and pouring outside, and you have a cold, you just want a comforting bowl of oats. You want that warm, creamy, cinnamon-y bowl that soothes your soul and fills you up.
But what to do when grains aren’t your friend?
I threw this together on my stovetop and couldn’t believe how much it tasted like the real thing. My brain was so confused, but my heart and stomach were pleased.
Enjoy this simple recipe for grain-free “oatmeal.”
I won’t tell if you lick the bowl clean.
1 cup riced cauliflower
1 tsp coconut oil or ghee (not AIP)
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/3 cup coconut milk
1 TB maple syrup
Optional: 1 scoop collagen or other protein powder
- Heat coconut oil or ghee on medium heat. When it’s melted, add riced cauliflower and sauté until it starts to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add banana and use a wooden spoon to mash and combine it with cauliflower rice (about 1-2 minutes)
- When banana and cauli rice are well-incorporated, add coconut milk and bring to a simmer (about 2 minutes).
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Allow to thicken for 1-2 minutes then turn off the heat.
- Transfer to a bowl or mug, add additional toppings if desired, and enjoy!
-I used frozen riced cauliflower, but you can use fresh.
-Easily multiply this recipe as needed to feed more than one person.
-Feel free to sub maple syrup for honey, but I prefer maple syrup because the warm flavor makes it feel more like oats to me.
-Get creative with toppings! Sauté a chopped apple for apple cinnamon oats, add berries or other fruit, or add nut butters (not AIP).