Oat bars are such an easy grab ‘n go breakfast option. I’m always looking for things that don’t take too much effort, especially recipes that don’t require expensive ingredients.
I actually dreamed up these bars while I was making celery juice one morning. I knew I had sweet potatoes I needed to use up, so I just threw them into my Instant pot per these instructions and went from there. Sometimes the best recipes come when you don’t have a real plan and are just throwing together whatever works. 🙂
There are so many ways to customize them too. Add some fruit (I love apples or pears), add nuts, add chocolate chips, maybe add in some collagen or other protein powder to get an extra protein boost. You can customize them however you want!
However you choose to customize, you must make these ASAP because you will definitely love them for their simplicity and flavor. The extra vitamin boost from the sweet potatoes doesn’t hurt either!
Sweet Potato Oat Breakfast Bars
3 cups gluten-free rolled oats
1 1/2 cups mashed sweet potato (see notes)
2 large eggs (or 2 flax eggs/chia eggs, to keep vegan)
1 cup milk of choice
1 TB cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (see notes)
1/4 cup chia seeds (optional)
1/4 cup optional mix-ins: nuts, chocolate chips, chopped apples, etc
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix mashed sweet potato with rolled oats. Use your hands to make sure they are combined well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients (except for the optional mix-ins) and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture to the sweet potato/oat mixture and stir to combine.
- Add in your optional mix-ins and combine.
- Grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with coconut oil or ghee.
- Pour mixture into skillet, using your hands or a silicone spatula to spread evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until firm and lightly browned. The edges should be coming in from the sides of the skillet.
- Allow to cool, then cut into bars.
-For a quick mashed sweet potato, you can follow this recipe to cook them in the Instant Pot, then peel and mash. Otherwise you can make the sweet potatoes in advance or used canned!
-These bars are not too sweet. If you want a sweeter option, then feel free to increase the maple syrup to 1/2 cup instead.
-The bars will keep in the fridge for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.