You’ll notice that this recipe doesn’t have quantities included for several ingredients. That’s because I want you to eyeball it! Use the amount you think you need–put your own spin on it. It’s always better to start small and add more instead of wasting ingredients, but aside from that it’s fun to play with it instead of specifically measuring out things sometime.
Here is the chimichurri I recommend for this recipe. It’s absolutely bursting with flavor and will give your nuggets a bright flavor punch! Feel free to add some crushed red pepper into the mix if you want to spice things up a bit, but it’s incredibly flavorful on its own.
I hope you enjoy this easy chicken nugget recipe, from my kitchen to yours!
Chimichurri Chicken Nuggets
Chicken breast or thighs
Pepper (omit for AIP)
Avocado oil or ghee for pan frying
- Either pound chicken thin, or carefully slice in half lengthwise to have two thinner cutlets instead of one thick piece. Then carefully slice into nuggets of desired size.
- Add some chimichurri to a shallow bowl. Use some olive oil to thin it out until it’s runny. Be sure to mix well.
- Alternatively: Mix chicken with some chimichurri, then cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour, up to overnight, to marinate. Then proceed with the following steps.
- To a separate shallow bowl, add tapioca flour, salt, and pepper (omit for AIP).
- How much? However much you need to coat the amount of chicken you have. Better to start lower, then add more (+ salt/pepper) if you need it.
- Use one hand to dip both sides of chicken into thinned out chimichurri (skip this step if you marinated your chicken), then gently shake off excess.
- Use the same hand to carefully place chicken into the tapioca flour mixture.
- Use your other hand to sprinkle tapioca flour onto the chicken and make sure it’s evenly coated. Set aside and repeat this process for all nuggets.
- Heat avocado oil or ghee on medium heat. Once heated, carefully place chicken onto pan in a single layer, taking care not to crowd the pan (you’ll have to do multiple batches)
- Cook, undisturbed, until bottom side is golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown as well, another 2 minutes. You may have to flip the nuggets a couple of times to ensure even cooking and browning.
- Set on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Add more oil, then repeat process until all nuggets are cooked.
- The tapioca flour on the nuggets may burn if you don’t use oil, so be sure not to cook on a dry pan.
- Enjoy!! I recommend dipping into chimichurri for maximum flavor. 🙂
-While, as mentioned, you can make chimichurri, slice chicken, and even marinate chicken ahead of time, only dredge with tapioca flour mixture immediately before frying; otherwise it will get gummy in texture and won’t crisp up the same.